Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Father, we will lead them home


Hey guys!! So tonight we had our last ESL lesson with the adult church members :D Its exciting what we have accomplished but sad that it was the last lesson! Yesterday we learned the body parts. Caitlin and I forgot the stickers with the names on them so we improvised with post-it notes! (You can see everyone with their post-it notes on their bodies in the picture above!) Today we learned a wide range of food names and some simple conversation with the food lesson. The Serbian people are so hospitable that they all chipped in and got us a small gift for teaching English. It was so unexpected and thoughtful! It made me realize how we take a lot of favors and acts of hospitality for granted!

This morning was a little adventurous! We walked around down town Novi Sad today and stopped at a cafe for a Coke. While sitting at the cafe, Daniel was video taping while Caitlin and I were taking pictures. After a while we noticed two Roma children walking around the cafe begging for money. We then saw them walk to a Roma woman sitting on a bench nursing her baby. This immediately broke our hearts. Can you imagine not having a home, not being sure when your next meal will be, not having shoes or clean clothes, and everyone looking at you like you are not worth anything? No! We are extremely blessed! We have a huge surplus of everything I just listed! Seeing these Roma people have really broken my heart and made me realize how blessed I am. God doesn't just bless us with material things so we can sit back and enjoy our comfy lifestyles. God blesses us so we have the means to bless others with the love of Christ. I can't imagine that for the rest of my life I will be living in a huge house with so much STUFF that I'm overwhelmed by it all. I know that somehow I will be using what God has blessed me with and I encourage you to think about all the extra stuff you have and to pray how God wants you to really be using it.

I realize this is quite a heavy topic but it has been on my heart to share and I just want to do something to help these people. I just want to be able to speak Serbian so I can tell them that there is hope! That their life doesn't have to be full of despair until they die.

Also realize that you don't have to come to Serbia to tell people of God's love! There are so many people around you that need Christ's love and God commands us to share it! It's not just a "if you want to kind of thing" its a COMMANDMENT!

In Christ's amazing love,
Bethany <3

3 comments:

  1. Its almost shameful to be reading about it in my nice air conditioned home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you guys, see you not soon enough!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! The need is so great that I don't even know where to start! Miss you too! <3 Bethany

    ReplyDelete